Saturday, January 16, 2010

My Man's in San Antone…

Doug drove the school bus for the Beta Club as they went to their annual convention this year in San Antonio.  This is the third year he's been asked to go, but the first that he's actually been able to make the trip.  I think he was excited about going; as he told me, I'm usually the one who leaves to take a trip, rarely is he the one to go.  But they left at 5:30 a.m. this morning.  And it makes me feel good that mothers of Beta students are happy that Doug is the one driving the bus.  As one mom told me at MIT today, "One of my prayers has already been answered [that Doug was the bus driver]."

When I talked to him earlier, he had walked around the River Walk, but since it's drizzly and cool, there wasn't anybody down there.  They are all staying at the Hyatt Regency Hotel and it sits right down at the River Walk and the Alamo.  Tomorrow he thinks he'll venture over to the Alamo.

The convention wraps up Sunday, and he'll be home Sunday afternoon/evening.

I'm glad he's had this opportunity to get away, and I haven't dreaded this trip the way I normally dread his going away.  I would love for Doug to be refreshed and come home with a new wind in his sail.

I've wondered why it is that I dread for him to go away on trips.  It hasn't happened very often in our 36 years of marriage that he's gone away, but I know that I enjoy getting away every so often.  I don't begrudge his getting away.  I guess I just feel safer when he's here.  I'm not used to being the sole responsibility bearer.  I've been spoiled; I've not had to be a single mom very often in our married life.  And I hope that when Doug comes home, I will remember to share with him that I am glad that he's had this opportunity to go and see something new (it's kind of pathetic that we've lived in Texas for 10 years and yet, we've never been to the state capitol [Austin], Houston, or San Antonio).  And I need to also tell him that I love and appreciate his protection of us and not leaving me to shoulder the burden of raising our children by myself.

So, Doug, enjoy yourself!  Eat out, see the sights, have fun but come home to us and remember that even though I'm glad you've had this opportunity, don't make traveling by yourself a habit or enjoy it too much!

No comments:

Post a Comment