Friday, January 29, 2010

A Whole Lot to Say about Nothing…

I am just not good at journaling or blogging…I'm not consistent.  I didn't realize, though, that it had been two whole weeks since I've been on here.  So, first thing this morning, I'm going to write something.

Nothing much exciting has been happening around our house.  The pain in my rib has been pretty intense the past couple of weeks, and last week I had the equivalent of 10 radiation treatments to help with the pain.  The dr. doesn't like to do so many treatments at once, but I told her I just couldn't drive 60 miles round trip for 10 days straight.  So, on Monday James took me at 1:00 to have x-rays and fortunately, they were able to use the tatoos from last summer.  After I went back to the waiting room for a while, they came out and said I wouldn't have my treatment until 4:30.  So I sent James on to work, and let Doug know that he would need to come get me.  After dozing off and on, I finally had the treatment, and "10 consecutive treatments" took about 30 minutes.  I think I slept through that too.  Finally, at 5:00 I was done and I was also the last patient in the clinic.  So far, I haven't felt any different and the pain hasn't subsided either.  The dr. said it would take effect the same as it would if I took the treatments separately.  It's been 12 days now, but I can't tell that it's working.  The dr. did say that there is one other kind of radiation that she can give me and it will help with pain all over and not just in my rib.  It's an I.V. and it takes a while to give too.  So I go back to the dr. next Friday and maybe I'll find out then what she's going to do.

Speaking of going to the dr., God just amazes me how He provides for me.  Doug was going to have to take off of work to take me to the dr.  He's the one, in fact, who called the dr. and re-scheduled my appointments.  I was originally scheduled to go next Wednesday on the 3rd, but that's my BSF day.  So he called and got the appointments scheduled back to back.  (They were originally three hours apart and I was going to have to find something to occupy my time.)  Well, I met a new friend at BSF and she asked me this week if she could possibly take me to the dr.  Her daughter is grown, she's new to this area, and her husband is working out of town.  Isn't that amazing?!  I called her yestereday to tell her when my appointment is and to ask if that works with her schedule, and we had a delightful visit, and what is really neat is that she wants to remain anonymous so that God gets all the glory!  Wow!  What an amazing lady!

On another note, I heard that my daughter-in-law, Whitney, shattered a bowl and cut BOTH hands and had to have stitches!  Poor baby…  I hate having to have stitches, especially in hands.  To this day, I have two horrible scars on my right hand because I wouldn't let Doug take me to the ER when I broke a glass with my hand swishing the dish rag in it, when we were first married.  Talk about pain…I can't imagine how Whitney can do her hair or put on make-up or anything.  I'm just so thankful this happened this year rather than last year when Eric was in Kuwait.  Eric seems to stay calm in emergencies and he was home to take her to ER and calm the kids at the same time!  Thank you Lord!

My mother-in-law, Peggy, came home yesterday from the hospital after breaking her hip and having surgery.  My sister-in-law, Regina, was able to make it to Peggy's home before the ice storm hit that's gripping Oklahoma right now.  And the hospital released Peggy at leasts 24 hours earlier than she had expected because they wanted to make sure she was safe and snug at home before the ice made her house-bound.

My mood is better than it was…both of my oncologists want me to find a psychiatrist that can regulate all my meds.  After having to change the cancer meds, it messed with my anti-depressants and now we can't seem to find the right combination.  But I can't seem to find a Christian psychiatrist who will see me that I can afford.  So, until if or when I find a dr., at least my mood is back closer to where it should be.

One of the things that has really bothered me lately is our house.  We've lived here almost eight years and haven't done any maintenance on it, other than painting about five years ago.  The carpet is shot, especially thanks to Gracie and Dixie, our Yorkie and cat.  This morning, Jared agreed to help me begin to work on the house, beginning with our bedroom and bathroom.  We're going to paint ─ a Tiffany-type blue and we're going to put down peel-and-stick tile.  We can't afford ceramic tile or laminate and definitely not hard woods.  But our neighbor put down peel-and-stick tile that looks like slate (even I couldn't tell the difference!), so that's what I want to do.  Doing it room by room or maybe a room a month won't kill us financially.  Doug and I bought a new comforter last weekend that already has blue in it, so wha-la!

Well, this has been an awful lot of writing for nothing going on in our lives….

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes it is hard to be consistent in blogging. I know I am not. It seems like I go in spurts! You do have a lot going on! Are you tiling your bedroom or your bathroom?

    ReplyDelete