Sunday, December 13, 2009

Thank You Lord for Answering Prayer

I love the Christmas season.  I couldn't always say this because I used to get so stressed out at the thought of having to buy presents with little or no extra money.  But as I've grown in my spiritual walk, I've found that Jesus meant exactly what He said, "My God shall supply all your need . . . ."  And Christmas isn't about the presents anyway.  We get to celebrate the fact that Jesus willingly took off His crown in glory and clothed Himself in human flesh.  Imagine that . . . .

And although I don't think the cancer is going to take my life anytime soon, this year has also caused me to think about going Home and seeing Jesus face-to-face.  And BSF had caused me to fall deeper and deeper in love with my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. I think about how good He is  . . .  He not only saved my soul from sin and hell, He provides everything I need to live this life.

And He answers prayer!!!  I've been thinking of all the prayers He's answered just this year.  Probably the biggest prayer He has answered this year concerns my son Eric.  This time last year Eric was only barely speaking to us.  When he came home for R&R from Kuwait, the only way we got to see him was to go to his Granny's house and see him along with the rest of the extended family.  But Eric told me recently that since he has become daddy to Jesse, he now realizes the importance of family.  He not only facilitated the recent family meeting we had concerning my homegoing, he invited us to his home for Christmas!  We are planning to go up to Oklahoma City Christmas morning and then spend that night at his and Whitney's home!

As I sat at Eric's college graduation yesterday morning, I thought about the long journey Eric's been on since he graduated from high school.  I feel like Eric was in a far country and since he married Whitney, she has helped him to return from that far place.  A friend of Eric's that I'd never had the privilege of meeting, named Tim, came for the graduation celebration.  He and Eric carpooled back when Eric lived in Ada and worked at the Pauls Valley Wal-Mart Distribution Center.  I said to Tim, "You've seen a BIG change in Eric since you met him."

"Yes," he said, "this [meaning going back to ECU] and Whitney . . . . "

Even an outsider noticed the difference Whitney has made in Eric's life.  As I've said before, Whitney is the best thing that's ever happened to Eric (excluding his salvation).  So as I think about my prayers that have been answered, Whitney plays a BIG part in not only bringing Eric back to us, she IS a direct answer to my prayer.  I haven't always been faithful in continually praying for my sons to marry godly women, but when I have, Whitney is the consumate answer to a godly wife for Eric.

So, Lord, thank You this year especially for Whitney.  Thank you for Katie and Jesse, and the privilege of being Mimi.  Father, help me to be a good mother-in-law and never forget Your faithfulness.  Lord, as I think of other prayer requests, help me to remember that You are a God who is faithful, never changes, delights in His children, loves to give good gifts to His children, and is more concerned with our character than our momentary "happiness."

No comments:

Post a Comment