Tuesday, November 10, 2009

I Can't Believe It -- No Blockages!

I'm home now from the hospital.  I had made up my mind while in the hospital that I was going to go to BSF tomorrow.  But after only riding home, I'm pooped, and what would I be proving if I pushed myself to go tomorrow?  Those are the kind of things I'm trying to learn from . . . not being pig-headed just for the sake of stubbornness.  I'm praising the Lord that the dr. didn't find any blockages (at least not a great enough percentage of blockage anyway) during the heart catherization this morning. Because of my high cholesterol/triglycerides, I truly expected the dr. to find at least one blockage.  Now I can rest easy, knowing that at least that is one thing I don't have to be concerned about.

Sunday morning I was sitting in church, listening to Craig preach, when all of a sudden, there was a terrible pain/pressure in my chest, radiating from my back.  And then what really scared me was that I experienced a horrible pain on each hinge of my lower jaw, running from back to front and back.  I had heard somewhere that pain in your jaw indicates heart issues.  And they confirmed in the ER that pain in jaws is the most common side effect in women of heart issues.  I got extremely agitated and popped an aspirin in my mouth and chewed it up.  Good move--the aspirin acts like a blood thinner and keeps the platelets from sticking together and causing clots.  If there were a small blockage, that would thin the blood enough to pump it over and around the clot to all areas of my heart.  Thank You Lord for impressing me to do just that.  The pain slowly subsided, but my face got really hot (as well as all parts of my body for a short time).  When Jared came over, I began to get emotional and that kept up even after I got to Wilson N. Jones.  The ER nurse called me back, rather loudly I might add, and when she began to ask me about my symptoms, she "talked" extremely loud too.  I began to cry as I asked her not to yell at me.  She was stunned and began to justify her actions--"Well, we take chest pain seriously here."

I told her that was fine, but to please not yell at me as she was asking.  Of course, as she relayed this to the other ER nurses, she was much kinder and asked them to take good care of me.  The WNJ ER team was extremely efficient and my blood was pressure was high:  183/102 or something like that.  I normally have very good blood pressure and so Dr. Roque decided to admit me.  Yesterday morning, when she came to see me, I asked her something along these lines, "With my medical history of mestatic breast cancer in my bones, do you think I'm too far gone to be bothered "fixing" something else in my body (such as a blockage) or not?

And she said, "No, you're not too far gone."  Thank you Dr. Roque!  I am so thankful I have medical insurance and good doctors and Medicare.  God has provided, yet, again.

1 comment:

  1. Judy, Bless your heart, you have really been through it! Im glad those nurses changed their tune and treated you with respect and compassion :)I have high cholesterol/triglycerides also and just can't seem to get my triglycerides down. Do you take lipitor? Thank you for the information on jaw pain, I have never heard that! Im sorry you were so scared and in pain, wish there was more I could do. You know my mom lives in constant pain and its just no fun to see your loved ones suffer. I see such great strenght in you as I do my mother. I am so proud to be in the same family with you and hope to see you soon also! You take care, I love You and love the blog :)

    ReplyDelete