Monday, November 16, 2009

When Will I Ever Learn?!

When will I ever learn?!  My tongue, and the words that just seem to roll off it,  is my besetting sin, and no matter how much I try to control it, I'm powerless.  I can't do it, only the Holy Spirit can contol it.

I had a phone call just a few minutes ago, and when I saw on caller ID who it was, I prayed for wisdom.  But I obviously didn't pray hard enough or I didn't listen to that still, small voice.  Because the conversation turned ugly in a hurry.  How do you learn to confront evil when it first happens in a kind, gracious way and not let it fester, until when it blows, it spews out hurt, anger, guilt, and every other negative emotion?

I picked up someone else's offense, I allowed my built-in mother-protectiveness to get out of control, and I damaged my relationship with someone I love.  I'm a mess, Lord.  I warned the boys just this morning that the devil is real, alive, and well and that he schemes to destroy us.  I should have known that he would attack with a vengeance since I had exposed his ways to three, young, vulnerable lives.

Lord, I'm bringing my mess to You, yet again.  I'm laying it at Your feet, asking You to do what only You can do . . . straighten out the damaged relationships and remove the sting from words that maybe should have been said earlier or maybe not at all.  I don't know right now.  I know You can redeem good from evil.  I'm asking that You heal the rift I've caused with that person who means so much to me.  Show us what Your will is concerning the person whose offensive I took on.  I (we) need You.  In Jesus' name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment